Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Quick and Healthy Cherry Tomato Spaghetti (Vegetarian)

I don't like spaghetti. I think it has something to do with the super long noodles and (at times) bland sauce. Before I was a vegetarian, I never ate spaghetti. However, this spaghetti is a healthy, easy, very different recipe that is good for traditional spaghetti lovers and non-spaghetti lovers as well. It is a recipe that I created this year at school while trying to make something quick for dinner.

Ingredients:
-Spaghetti noodles
-Olive Oil
-Cherry tomatoes (1-2 plastic containers), halved
-1/4 cup onion, chopped finely
-4-5 cloves garlic, minced
-Basil, chopped finely
-Sea salt, freshly ground pepper, Italian spices such as oregano
-Parmesan Cheese

1. Cook your pasta according to the package. I usually use whole grain or Ronzoni Garden Delight (pictured). If you are like me and don't really like the long noodles, break them in halves or thirds before putting them in the pot. When done cooking, drain and set aside. If your noodles are sticking, toss with a little bit of olive oil.
2. Make the sauce.  Put a few tablespoons of oil in a medium to large pan on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until the onion turns clear. Add the chopped tomatoes and garlic. I used 5 cloves of garlic, but you can use more or less according to how garlicky you want your sauce. Add the basil. I usually use scissors to chop my basil. Add salt, pepper, and Italian herbs to taste and stir until it forms a sauce. When the tomatoes begin to soften, smash them with a wooden spoon. Cook until the tomatoes form a thick, chunky sauce.
3. Layer the noodles, sauce, and cheese and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment